Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 9: Faceless Self Portrait

"If I cannot fly, let me sing."  Stephen Sondheim

Music is me.
More so that any other single thing.
It is an essential part of who I am.
It is my passion.
And it is a very large part of my daily life.

Right now....
*I am in rehearsals for a workshop performance of a new musical about Harriet Tubman.
*I sing with the Sally Bytheway Chorale.  (The above picture comes from tonight's rehearsal.)
*I take weekly voice lessons and sing in monthly master classes.
*Next month I'm scheduled to sing Lex de Azevedo's "Gloria" in a virtual/live concert at the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City.
*Every Sunday afternoon I sing with (or sometimes accompany) the ward choir.
*Every Sunday evening I sing with the stake choir.
*Every Sunday morning I play the piano for primary.
*And at any given time I have a song running through my head.  At this very minute?  "I Saw Three Ships."

The lyrics to one of my very favorite songs details "Why We Sing."  It explains my feelings about music and singing perfectly.  See my post about that here.

No comments: