Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 8: Technology

 I'm married to a computer geek...so yeah, we've got pretty high end "technology" at our house.  More gadgets than you can shake a stick at.  And have you seen Bryan's computer monitor??  I'm not exaggerating when I say it's as large as a TV screen.

 A few years ago Bryan asked if I wanted a laptop.  Funny enough, I told him no.  I didn't think I needed one.  Being home most days while he was at work and the kids were at school more or less meant that I had the home computer to myself.  So you can imagine my surprise when I opened a Christmas present containing....a MacBook.  Double surprise, actually, because up to that point we owned nothing Apple.  Not even an ipod.  Bryan's a Linux guy and has always claimed that "Apple doesn't play well with others."
Flash forward a few years.  I LOVE having my own laptop.  It's been upgraded just recently to a MacBook Air.  We have multiple ipods, hundreds of songs on itunes, an ipad, and I'm anxiously awaiting the purchase of a new iphone.

 This is my cozy work area where I spend much of my time.  Isn't it amazing how much we rely on our computers and internet service?  I feel like I'm missing my right arm when my computer is down.

More technology....
If you want to see my take on Bryan's digital piano vs. my baby grand and my slight rant about Kindle vs. real books go here.  :)


*Ironically enough, as I worked on this post this afternoon, I heard the news that Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, died today.  Talk about your ultimate technology guru!  

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

2 comments:

Shauna said...

So many of these things sound terribly familiar, including that whole "Apple doesn't play well" bit. But I truly love having a geek of my very own because we have some fabulous tech in the house including an iphone and an ipod touch. Funny thing about the kindle, my dad bought me one last year and I have used it only occasionally (I'm a "smell the paper of the books" kind of girl myself) but now that I'm nursing a baby I use it all the time because it is so much easier to deal with when I only have one hand available. So even electronic books have their uses, but I'm going to be one of the first ones in line to complain if my library goes away...

Melissa@thebblog said...

I have to say, I've not a converted member of the Apple movement. Scott has an iPod Nano that he never listens to. I have a (very old) iPod Mini that is bigger than the current non-mini version. It sits in my room hooked up to a speaker but has such limited space that I can't load new things on it. I'm a BlackBerry girl when it comes to smart phones (a decision made by my company) and we are microsoft as it relates to our computer and laptops (again, thanks to the business proliferation of PC). I would love an iPad though (which ever sister of mine draws my name for Christmas . . .hint hint.)