Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 10: Something I Made

I chose to document this for today's photo assignment....


....because it represents my one and only foray into quilting.

A puff quilt.  I made two of them, actually.  Identically matching.  For Rebekah and Julianne's bunk beds back when they were just young ones and shared a bedroom.

My friend Lori, incredibly talented and sweet as she is, offered her time and expertise when I hesitantly explained my grand plan.  She'd made puff quilts before.  She was optimistic that this was something I could handle.  I could sew straight lines on a sewing machine, yes?  Yes.  Okay then...off to the fabric store we went.  She guided me through each step...from picking out coordinating fabric, to cutting (and cutting and cutting) squares, to pinning (and pinning and pinning) squares, to sewing (and sewing and sewing) squares to finally stuffing (and stuffing and stuffing) squares.  It was A LOT of fabric squares.  I had squares overflowing out of bags all over my living room.  I ate, slept and breathed squares.

 Sometimes Lori would come up to my house for the evening.  Sometimes I would pack up my sewing machine and bags of squares and head down to her house.  Much of the time I sewed squares in the afternoons while the girls watched Sesame Street and Arthur.  But sew I did.  Cause it may be a lot of sewing, but it really IS all straight lines, see?  I can handle that!
It took a long time but finally the quilts were ready...just in time for Rebekah and Julianne to sleep under them for the first time on Christmas Eve.

Rebekah and Julianne are teenagers now and even if pretty little puff quilts were still their style (they're not, of course) they wouldn't fit on their queen beds.  The puff quilts sat folded in a closet for awhile.  But then came Lilian.  And when she grew enough to sleep in a big girl bed, out came the puff quilts again.  They're a little more faded than they used to be.  The puffs are a little less puffy.  Washings and wear.  But they're still warm, soft and snuggly and keep Lilian toasty on cold nights. 

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I remember those. They are so cute.

Melissa@thebblog said...

at first I thought you were going to say that you made the bed . . . you know, some such post about your daughter not making her bed before heading off to school, then I realized this was a little bed and then I remembered that you made that quilt. Still impressed by that big project.