Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Bryan

(IMAGINE A PICTURE OF BRYAN HERE)

That sweet man I married turned 37 year old today. I was going to do a fun picture collage showing how he's matured over the years since I've known him. (I was going to say grown but that sounds like he's 7 years old or something.) Our main computer with all the pictures stored on it is having issues at the moment, though. Bryan will probably be relieved that the collage idea is now nixed. Instead, here's a story to show what a good man he is.
(Warning: Long post ahead...)

This morning Rebekah called from school to tell me she had accidentally left her English homework at home. She was wondering if I could bring it over and leave it at the main office for her to pick up in between classes. I was about to leave the house to go grocery shopping anyhow. The Jr. High wasn't exactly on the way but it wasn't too far out of the way either so I said I'd do it. I pulled up to the school and there is where my brain apparently stopped functioning. I had parked in the red fire zone right smack next to the front door. The main office was just a few feet inside that door. I knew that I would only be in the school for less than 30 seconds so I really didn't want to get Lilian out of her car seat and haul her in with me. But I also knew that since I was in a red zone I probably shouldn't turn off the car and make it seem like I had officially parked there. So I decided to leave the car running and then made sure to lock the door so no one would drive off with my car and baby. Ummm. Yeah. About 3 seconds after shutting the door I realized I had a HUGE problem and I went into panic mode. My keys were locked in my car. With my 18 month old. And I had no way to get in. Because I hadn't memorized the key code yet. I started frantically punching numbers hoping to luck out and miraculously hit the right code. But after a few seconds of that I decided I really needed to get someone...Bryan, a locksmith...on their way. I ran into the office and the poor 9th grade T.A. at the desk noticed the sheer panic on my face and asked if anything was wrong. I breathlessly told her the story. She obviously had no clue but sweetly asked anyway if there was anything she could do for me. I asked for a phone (mine was in the car with my purse, my keys, my BABY) and she nodded and told me how to get an outside line. I knew I couldn't call Bryan's cell because he was teaching a class. He was right that minute TEACHING a class!!! How in the world was he going to help me? So I called his office number and got John. I told him the story. I asked him if he could please go tell Bryan that it was an emergency and to call a short break. He did. Bryan came to the phone. John had told him the story already. I was about in tears by that point wondering if Lilian was outside crying and wondering where Mommy was. I expected he'd be frustrated and annoyed at my stupid mistake. Obviously this was not good timing. But hearing how panicked and worried I was he was very sweet about the whole thing. Knowing that he couldn't neccesarily call me back, he had me wait for a minute while he made arrangements for someone else to take his class for a bit and then he came back on the line to tell me that he was on his way. I was relieved beyond words to know that help was coming. I spent the next 10 minutes randomly punching in patterns of numbers into the key code and playing peek-a-boo with Lilian through the window. I even tried getting her to unlock the door by lifting up on the lock. She could actually reach it from her car seat. She got the message that I wanted her to touch the lock but she didn't ever understand that I wanted her to lift up on it, no matter how I pantomimed the action. She just smiled and thought I was playing a game with her. It's probably not the best idea to teach your 18 month old how to unlock the car door anyhow but I was kind of desperate and hoping that if I got into the car before Bryan got there that I could call him and he could just turn around and not have to waste any more of his time. Didn't work. Like I said, it took Bryan 10 minutes to get there. Should've taken more like 15-20....he must have broken all sort of speed records driving and obviously avoided any and all cops on his way. He kindly unlocked the door for me, said hello to Lilian and then got back in his car to head back to work. He never once made me feel like the moron I was. He never once moaned or groaned about having to take off from work at an inconvenient time. As soon as he found out I was in trouble he immediately made quick arrangements and rushed to my side. Honestly, it was a DUMB mistake. Totally brainless. But he was completely kind about the whole thing. What a good man.

He's kind. He's considerate. He's understanding. He's a good father. He's a good provider. He makes sure the kids know that he loves their mother. He's supportive. He's funny. He's romantic. He honors his Priesthood. And he loves ME. Aren't I so lucky? Happy Birthday to my sweet, wonderful, Bryan.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday Bryan! I hope you had a great lunch. Thanks for having such a great wife.

Croft Family said...

Sarah don't worry I have done it twice. Once with Kaitlyn and once with Lara. Happy Birthday to Bryan. Hope he had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy Birthday, old man! Sarah, I'm so tickled that you are still so in love with your husband, that you can so easily talk about all those good things that he does for you, and I have to admit that I'm so glad that you both still live up to the fact that I use you as one of the couples I want to be like when I grow up!

Melissa@thebblog said...

I know I shouldn't laugh but it is a little bit funny! What a hubby! I'm not sure I would have gotten off without any snyde comments. He is a great guy, I'm glad he's my Brother!