Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Christmas Tradition

We had a cool Christmas tradition when I was a kid. Every year, the evening we put up the Christmas tree, my four sisters and I would drag our blankets and pillows out to the living room and sleep "under the tree." My parents would turn all the lights out except the ones on the tree and then we'd play silly games like "Guess Which Ornament I'm Thinking Of" and we'd giggle for awhile until, eventually, we'd fall asleep. The tradition must have made an impression because now my sisters and I all do it with our own children. Here at our house we've modified things a bit. We don't necessarily do it the evening the tree goes up. And, Bryan and I have decided to give them their new Christmas pajamas that day instead of Christmas Eve. Here's what it all looked like this past Friday.


Rebekah didn't want a whole pajama set. That's not "in" right now. "Just pajama pants, Mom." So I ordered some from Aeropostale for her. XXSmall. They're still too big.

Faking sleep for the camera. In all actuality, I think Bryan and I fell asleep in our own bed before these three wound down.

Lilian....mellow at last.

P.S. Happy Birthday Spencer!

8 comments:

Croft Family said...

What a fun tradition!

Jan T. said...

We used to do that as kids too! I love it....I need to start that tradition with my kids!

Mindy said...

That looks like a ton of fun. Your kids are so cute, love them. Funny about Bryan falling asleep long before the kids.

Mary said...

My kids finally slept under the tree on Friday night. It was getting close to Christmas so I figured that we'd better get to it fast! What a fun thing for them.

I love that you give your kids their PJ's the night they sleep under the tree. That's fun.

Jill said...

That is a great tradition!

Katie said...

My kids have slept under the tree three times already this season and just tonight they asked to do it again.

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I never said that!!! Love Rebekah

:)

Dawn said...

What a memory-forever fun tradition. I wonder where your mom got that idea? She and her sibs never did that growing up. Maybe it was original--and she says she's not creative. Ha!
Love your cute little family and pictures, Aunt Dawn