Monday, December 1, 2008

Finding A Balance


It's here! I can now officially allow myself to sink into that warm, fuzzy, happy coziness that is Christmas to me. We spent the weekend putting up the Christmas decor. I found myself grinning for no specific reason every time I looked at the tree. It really is the best time of year. My Dad says that it's the one time of year when peace and goodwill seem like something real...that the spirit of peace and goodwill are actually tangible at Christmas. So I'm thrilled to be in the thick of it once again.
But even as I'm listening to the soothing Tab Choir Christmas CD my mind is going a million miles a second trying to untangle the mess up there that is all my errands and things to make and do in preparation for the big day. I had told myself that because I have so many Christmas concerts this year I needed to be done with my shopping by Thanksgiving. I'm close but have a few stops still to make. Plus, I need to write my Christmas letter. Plus, I need to figure out what the kids are going to give to their friends. Plus, I need to package up a bunch of gifts and make a trip to the post office. Plus, plus, plus.... And I'm realizing that I need to find a balance. Things are going to be busy in the next few weeks. Really, really busy. But I don't want my house and family to fall apart while I'm shopping here, singing there. I want to feel that peace of Christmas. I want that feeling to be the main thing permeating through our home, no matter how much is going on. When I'm home I want to be really home...baking cookies, reading Christmas stories to the kids. When I'm singing in a concert, I want to make sure I'm leaving the house clean and dinner prepared. I don't want to get to Christmas day and think, "How did we get here?" I want to enjoy it along the way. I want to savor it. And I want my family to feel the same way. Is it possible? I'm darn well going to try.

1 comment:

Croft Family said...

I think if anyone can do it, it's you. Let me know how it goes. Oh and your house was beautiful on Saturday.