Friday, January 22, 2010

"Power In His Touch"

Part advertisement, part "save the date," and part just sharing....
Julianne and I are in rehearsals for a musical called "Power In His Touch." Click on that title or on the picture and it should take you to the website which gives info on the story, songs, pictures, performance dates and history of the show. It's an Easter musical written by Collette Call...a girl I know from being in Millennium Choir together for a few years. Back in 2000 she was looking for some singers to record the soundtrack of this new musical she was writing and pulled some of us from Millennium to help her. A few years went by. Eventually I heard that that "Power in His Touch" was going into production. I have friends who have joined the cast over the past few years but I have never actually seen the show. This year, my friend and voice teacher, Gary is the music director of the show. He encouraged me to come be a part of the show and even though I had conflicts with the audition date, he still slipped Julianne and me into the cast as part of the ensemble. It looks like it will be a pretty impressive show. Lots of AMAZING talent. But mostly, I'm having such a wonderful time doing this with Julianne.

Side note: Funny thing, I'm singing alto in this production. First day of rehearsal revealed a whole lot of sopranos and a lot less altos. Gary asked for soprano volunteers to join the alto section. No one raised their hand. Sopranos are divas (I can say that because I am one!) and very much feel that singing alto is not being true to themselves. So reluctantly, mostly as a favor to Gary, I raised my hand. I have a pretty wide range and although I am naturally a high, high soprano I can sing fairly low as well. But you know what? I'm having a great time singing alto. It's darn fun singing harmony and it's a great way to sharpen up my sight reading skills...something that sopranos are usually somewhat weak on because they are used to singing the melody most of the time. I have to admit...I do sigh a little every time the sopranos hit those extra high notes, though.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I can't get the link to work so you will have to tell me when and where, We would love to try and come see you girls!

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Fixed it...I think. Try again.

Melissa@thebblog said...

I'm so glad that you and Julianne can do this together. Maybe next should be Savior of the World! Also, good of you to be the alto. I agree, it's good training.

Camilla Millar said...

So fun. . .

I LOVE singing alto because I love making harmony. This is the part I prefer.