Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

I turned 35 years old yesterday. I'm officially mid-thirties...thirty-something. Is that old? I'm conflicted. When I was a kid and my parents were 35, that seemed pretty old. But I don't feel that old. Maybe it's the change of perspective. Or maybe it's not that they seemed old but more just adult and grown-up. Yeah, that I do feel. More or less.

So, yesterday I woke up and found the Happy Birthday flag flying in my yard, compliments of the Relief Society. My friend Heather and her family down in St. George called to sing the Happy Birthday song to me, complete with "cha-cha-chas" and everything. I went to my voice Master Class and they sang to me as well. A bunch of voice students all singing Happy Birthday to me? Yeah, it was pretty impressive. :) (Side note: Bryan came with me to watch me sing and he insisted that we take his car and I drive it! And guess what? I did! And it wasn't that hard! His car is a stick shift and I SO don't do those. But Bryan is insisting that I learn so that when I do my weekly drive down to Draper for choir I can take his car which gets so much better gas mileage than my big monster truck. Okay, side note over.) The girls helped me make a birthday cake and I finally got to open the gift that my Mom gave me a week ago and insisted that I save until the actual day. I got numerous emails from my sisters and my sis-in-law Kari even did a tribute to me on her blog. And then in the late afternoon we went to dinner with Bryan's parents at the Cheescake Factory. Yum! My mother-in-law made sure to tell the waiter that it was my birthday, of course, but even though we heard waiters singing to all sorts of others throughout the restaurant, they never came to our table. I was slightly disappointed and slightly relieved all at the same time. Bryan was displeased...our waiter did not get a good tip.

And then we got to come home and found that our house had cooled from 86 degrees to 81. Well, that's better than a kick in the head, right? Our air condiditioning went out Thursday afternoon. I called Symphony Homes Friday morning. They said, "Good news, that does fall under your warranty! We'll have someone call you!" But they didn't. Or maybe they tried but everyone was already heading out for the holiday weekend. So we've been baking in our house the past few days with the windows wide open hoping for a breeze. Last night we got plenty of breeze. It made it hard to sleep. The wind was loud and whistly and made me get all stuffy with allergies but I didn't dare close the windows for fear it would be too hot. But I'm happy with that wind. Because that wind is bringing in a storm with temperatures in the 60's! And even though it's probably wrecking a whole lot of Labor Day plans for people, all I can say is "Hallelujah!!" I finally won't feel like a baked potato in my own house! And maybe I can get someone out here to fix the darn air conditioning unit before the temps start heading back up again.


Liz said...

Sarah- I'm glad you found my blog! I just started it this summer, and I'm working my way into the blogging world too. It's so fun to see all your kids--I can't believe how fast they're growing up!

And Happy Birthday--sounds like you had a fun time! :)

Sarah said...

happy birthday to you yay!!!!!

ps this is rebekah