Thursday, November 13, 2008

Morning Schedule

My morning schedule:
6:01 Alarm goes off and snooze gets pushed.
6:11 Alarm goes off for the second time.
6:15 Groggily roll out of bed and head to the bathroom where I can turn on the light without waking up Bryan because that early in the morning it's still dang dark and I'd really like to be able to see while getting dressed.
6:20 Head downstairs to the treadmill...put on shoes while TV/DVD player is warming up with an episode of "Gilmore Girls" from my TV on DVD collection.
6:50 Red-faced and panting, go next door to wake up Rebekah. Spend 5 minutes going through her closet holding out shirts for her approval and finally finding one she will accept as wearable on about the 5th try.
6:55 Quick shower, get dressed and make-up
7:20 Help Rebekah gather all her homework and school supplies that have been spread from here to there all over the house.
7:25 Curl, straighten or bun Rebekah's hair.
7:30 Wake up Julianne which usually includes lots of light, lots of comforting words and a Josh Groban or the new David Archuletta CD playing on her boom box.
7:35 Pop in the car with Rebekah, pick up Brianna and drive them at the bus stop.
7:45 Make sure Julianne is actually moving downstairs, give Brandon his first wake-up call and run into the bathroom to dry my hair.
7:55 Wake Brandon again and pick out his clothes since he's still dead to the world...then head back to curl my hair.
8:05 Physically sit Brandon up in bed, slide his pajamas off and start pulling school clothes back on. He usually wakes up half-way through the process and finishes up.
8:10 Breakfast for the kiddos...usually cereal. Sometimes make home lunch if it's pizza day. They can't stand pizza day. Gather shoes and jackets and backpacks and homework. Help Julianne with her hair.
8:25 Say quick prayer...sometimes while standing on the front porch. And then say "Hurry, hurry! I can see the bus!!"
8:30 Start the wake-up process with Bryan.

So, sounds like it works, right? By 8:30 I have all the older kids out the door and I should be not only excersized but showered and completely ready for the day. Two variables, though, that throw things off. One, how late have I stayed up the night before? Do I have enough will power to win that whole mind-over-mattress battle? Unfortunately, too many days I let the mattress win. And second, Lilian. I never know when she is going to wake-up. Sometimes it's not until the kids walk out the door. Sometimes it's after my shower but before I can get my hair done. This morning it was right before I stepped onto the treadmill. So, yes, I have a great morning schedule. Wish it worked a little more consistently.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh the memories of babies not keeping on a schedule. One day she will have a set time. Hopefully

Croft Family said...

Sounds crazy. I never thought about sitting down and writing out my morning schedule. I don't think I want to because I'm tired just reading yours!

Mary said...

Great description. Sounds pretty close to what we do every morning. But instead of one child screwing up the schedule, I have two...and they never seem to just sleep during the whole process. Can't they just stay sleeping until 7:15? That's when the craziness ends.

Rachel said...

Oh dear. I don't get up very easily myself. How am I ever going to get up to help kids get up?!? Maybe I'll have to be like Mom - and make Dad get the kids up. He was the one to wake me up every morning...mom was still sleeping. Lucky.

Melissa@thebblog said...

Wow! I can't believe you get up to exercise that early! my mattress wins over my mind every time.