Sunday, May 1, 2011

Yanni

Pyrotechnics, choreography and super-sized projections have become standard for most concerts, giving extra bang for the buck to those willing to pay premium ticket prices.
But it was the music that Yanni fans came to hear Saturday night at the Maverik Center in West Valley City. The Greek musician’s loyal audience turned out in force, and their boisterous response showed why he has made the Salt Lake area a regular stop on his international tour schedule. (Review from the Salt Lake Tribune)
That loyal audience the newspaper reviewer talks about? Yeah, Bryan and I are a part of that group. We have been Yanni fans since high school. I wrote a music review about him for my college newspaper. We took one of his CDs with us to listen to while I was in labor with Rebekah. I think we own every CD he has released over the years. But neither one of us have ever seen him in concert. Well, unless you count the various concerts that have been produced as a TV special. (Live at the Acropolis was my favorite....) So when tickets went on sale back in December I thought they would make a great Christmas gift for Bryan. Last night he was finally able to redeem that gift.
Umm, wow! Live, in person, is cool!! Yanni's band/orchestra is made up of a bunch of absolutely amazing musicians....most of whom played elaborate solos. (I've never seen the harp played quite like that....) Yanni was at his prime...standing between his two keyboards, big smile on his face, directing his band with funky wrist and finger motions. Bryan and I shared a few smiles every time Yanni flipped his hair. It was a great concert...we had such a fun time!

1 comment:

Melissa@thebblog said...

oh, how fun! I bet I'd have liked it too - his piano music is so uplifting to listen to. right now I can't think of any of his songs but I know I'd recognize a lot of them from you playing them so much.