Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New York City: Day 1

Bryan, sweet man that he is, offered to do this business trip, even when he could've handed it over to another, so that he could bring me to NYC. Whether it was because he was tired of me whining about wanting to go on a vacation...or because he knew NYC was a place I'd always wanted to see, I'm not sure. Maybe a combination of both. Regardless...the man is teaching a class that he didn't have to so I could see Broadway shows, visit the Statue of Liberty, go to the top of the Empire State Building, wander through the Metropolitan Museum of Art, watch the Today Show being filmed...oh, and did I mention, SEE BROADWAY SHOWS!!??
Some random thoughts and pictures of our first full day:

1. Our hotel is on the same street as St. Patricks Cathedral and Radio City Music Hall. Also right across the street is one of the many entrances to Rockefeller Plaza. Awesome location!
2. I got chills when I walked down the the Theatre District and started seeing the signs for all the Broadway shows. I am such a theatre geek!
3. If you happened to be watching The Today Show in the morning, you may have seen me walk past while Meredith Vierra was interviewing some random person in the crowd outside the NBC studios. My 1.5 seconds of fame. haha.4. LOVE the cathedral bells that ring in the evening at St. Patricks Cathedral.
5. Hundreds of girls with slicked back into a bun hairstyles and heavy make-up were all lined up on either side of the front doors to Radio City Music Hall. Auditions for the Rockettes.
6. Went to the Top of the Rock observation deck to see the view. Oh. My. WOW. Manhattan is an amazing place.

7. Walked, and walked, and walked all over yesterday. With a huge grin on my face the whole time. Loved sightseeing and people watching. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many people in one place before. 8. Wish I had brought my running shoes so I could go for a run through Central Park.
9. 5th Avenue. Bergdorf-Goodman, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, Versace, Harry Winston, Giorgio Armani, Saks Fifth Avenue....I'm drooling.10. Got whistled at, honked at and told I had a nice butt. Ah, New Yorkers.

3 comments:

DisabilityDiva said...

I LOVE you sharing your NY moments!! How incredible!! Uh I would not be whistled at....fabulous...work it and enjoy those shows I'm drooling!!!

Shauna said...

I had that same foolish grin on my face when I was in NYC two years ago. Try as I might, I could not blend in. It was clear in every possible way that I was a tourist from a teeny tiny podunk town. There is so much to see and do that even going full speed for 7 full days, there are things we wanted to do that we just couldn't fit in! If I had known you were going, I would have sent you to the Magnolia Bakery-famous for cupcakes but the best. Cheesecake. Ever. Only restaurant we visited more than once. :-)

Jill said...

I love NYC! I'm so glad you got to go!