Friday, May 13, 2011

New York City: Day 3


Ever see the movie "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan? Or read the book "From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler?" The Metropolitan Museum of Art plays heavily in both of them. And both of them were going through my head as I spent hours wandering that same museum today. As I have been doing with every other place I have visited this week, I decided to walk. And first of all let me say, it was a beautiful walk...up glamorous 5th Ave and then along the edge of Central Park. But oh...it was a lot further than I had anticipated. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" my two feet kept asking. From 51st Street all the way to 82nd....we made it. But it was worth it (besides being good exercise) because that museum is phenomenally amazing. From the art it houses down to the actual architecture of the building itself, I had chills the whole time I was there. I got lost. Often. It was literally a maze of rooms. I didn't come even close to seeing everything there, but what I did see....wow:Look! It's Picasso's signature!

Claude Monet

























Auguste Renoir and Vincent van Gogh

Georges Seurat
























Pablo Picasso and Edgar Degas



Piet Mondrian


Because I read "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan recently, about the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright, I also thought it would be fun to visit the Guggenheim Museum that he designed. I ignored my complaining feet and walked a few more blocks up the road. But frustratingly enough, it is closed on Thursdays. Hmph.


I had lunch at Serendipity on the way home. Oh, who am I kidding. It was their famed desserts, not lunch that I was interested in. (Ever seen the movie "Serendipity" with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsdale? Also another reason, besides the numerous friend recommendations, to visit this place.) My Forbidden Broadway Sundae was absolutely scrumptious. And the restaurant itself was darling. (I can say that because Bryan wasn't with me so I don't have to worry about attacking his manliness by admitting he went to such a "charming" restaurant.) But it really was. Such a fun place.



We had dinner at this Irish Pub. The place was filled with very loud, very boisterous business men in suits drinking their cares away. Between the chatter and the live music, Bryan and I could barely carry on a conversation sitting across the table from each other! But it was great food and I loved the fun, jovial atmosphere....even if the server did think we were a little odd for not wanting to order a Guinness. (It is a business trip for Bryan after all.... He fielded calls each evening.)



The highlight of the day, though? "Wicked" on Broadway! Amazingly enough, I had never seen it. I'd tried and tried to get tickets when it came to SLC but to no avail. So seeing it was my priority of this trip. Bryan even agreed to come with me. I was starting to worry that my expectations were TOO high...that I would come away disappointed. I also thought that I knew the show extremely well, despite never having seen the show. I was wrong on both accounts. It was truly impressive, funny, amazing. And there were plenty of lines and plot points that caught me by surprise. Interestingly enough, Bryan LIKED it! Oh, I thought he would be entertained. Especially since he was familiar with the music and with "The Wizard of Oz." But he actually LIKED it! Does that mean other musicals are in his future? Probably not. I think I've spoiled him. He'll probably refuse to go to another show unless it's the caliber and quality of Broadway....

3 comments:

Kim Anderson said...

I am so happy you had a fun time and are home safe. I love that you took a photo of the brownie sundae, and the first thing that I said was "holy cow!" That was HUGE! I loved all the photos and living vicariously through your writings. Thank you for sharing.

Mindy said...

That brownie treat looks awesome. Glad you had such a good trip. Mike wants to take me there, now i'm really excited for it.

Melissa@thebblog said...

Oh what a fun day! You are so brave to wander around yourself. I so wish I was there with you. Can we do a NY trip as a Mel_Sarah trip after Boston??? I loved Wicked so much and it was and wasn't what I was expecting. So glad I wasn't the only one. Now we can talk about some of those things I wasn't expecting . . .