Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Too well?

I was watching a movie recently. "Date Night." You know the one...that comedy with Tina Fey and Steve Carell? The whole premise: Feeling that they are a boring married couple...efforts to spice up their marriage with a fancy date in the city end up going terribly awry. Hilarity ensues and the shared experience of this nightmare of a date ends up bringing them closer together.

ANYHOW...what stuck out at me was a scene near the beginning of the movie. Some friends of theirs have decided to divorce. One of the reasons behind the demise of their marriage, according to the wife, was that they knew each other "too well." That she knew all her husband's habits and quirks...as did he of her. I'm guessing this means that, according to her, there was no spice or mystery in their marriage anymore and she felt that things were flat and boring. And yes, I get that it takes work to keep that marriage relationship fresh and alive so as not to become only "excellent roommates."

But honestly, when I watched that interaction between the two wife characters, I thought to myself, "They've got it all wrong!" Having someone know me that well...all my habits and quirks, and me knowing the same about him? Well, that sounds rather heavenly to me.

I love that Bryan knows my favorite song is "Forever Young" and that I crave sushi any time of the day or night. He knows that I don't deal with heat well and if I'm mowing the lawn on a hot July day, I'm going to come in grumpy. He knows that if I'm talking on the phone with my Dad that I'm going to be a LONG time cause I get my chattiness from him. He knows that I will get irrationally upset when we don't get snow in winter. He knows my dreams of someday singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and he knows that I'm absolutely terrified of snakes.

And I know that when he has a headache, if I rub his head it helps. I know that he is determined...if he has a hankering to learn something, he WILL learn it....from wood working and guns to music theory, juggling, magic and cooking. I know that one of his favorite foods is garlic...just plain fried garlic. I know that he loves mixed martial arts fights and horror movies...but also that he will always laugh at Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day." I can tell when he is stressed. I can tell when the noisy chaos of 4 kids is getting to him and he is trying to hide it. I know his silly side that very few other people ever get to see.

Personally, I think getting THAT close to someone, knowing someone THAT well, feeling THAT comfortable together...is one of the very best parts of being married. I feel very thankful that I have that kind of relationship with Bryan.

2 comments:

Chellie said...

I agree whole heartily! I feel exactly the same about Will. Who else would put up with all my quirks and love me anyway?

Heidi Green said...

Love it!! Well said.

Although I must say... Matt and I were laughing the entire way through that movie because a LOT of little things (like being annoyed by bumping into cupboard doors left open, etc) were exactly like in our house. :)

And btw - I love that photo of you too. So cute!