Friday, April 22, 2011

Egg Drop

The 4th graders had an egg drop today. For the uninitiated...the idea is to wrap, pad and otherwise safeguard your egg in any way you choose so as to keep it protected while being thrown off the roof...as it then bounces, crashes, splats to the ground.

Brandon had wrapped his egg in packing foam, packed it into a tin can, stuffed napkins in every nook and cranny around it as tightly as he could and then taped the lid back on. Some kids had attached a make-shift parachute to soften their egg's descent. One person had wrapped the egg in diapers. Another had stuffed the egg into a roll of toilet paper. There were a lot of fun looking packages, a lot of great ideas for padding that ever so fragile egg.

The school had arranged for the fire department to send a truck and some firemen to do the actual chucking of the eggs off the roof. Brandon's egg was one of the first to come down. It made a rather ominous splatting sound. The whole crowd groaned...it seemed fairly obvious that the egg had not survived. I was worried that Brandon would be disappointed. But amazingly enough when he untaped the package and rooted around for the egg, a smile spread across his face when he realized the egg had actually made it through unscathed.
(Yes, Brandon is wearing a pink tie with his t-shirt and sweats. I'm not sure why, exactly. He's been wearing a different tie every day this week. New fashion statement, I suppose.....?)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

How cool is that, I want to do that.

Mary said...

What a fun activity for the kids to do. And Brandon certainly has his own style. I can't get Josh to wear a tie if his life depended on it. It's a never ending battle come Sunday morning.

Melissa@thebblog said...

how funny, my first comment on the Brandon picture was "is that a tie?" I even said it out loud! and then you answered my question. We did a drop in 9th grade. I think I bought a great big car sponge and cut a slit in the middle. but I also have memories of making a cone on the bottom of a box that would crumple on impact and absorb the shock. I don't remember now which was mine. perhaps I made the cone one and just admired the simplicity of the sponge one.