Monday, April 18, 2011

Taste Testing

Walking through the Gateway on Saturday night after a yummy dinner at Biaggis, Bryan and I passed a new store we'd never seen before. Bryan glanced over, slowed, and eventually came to a dead stop as he took in the name of the store and the little bit of a view that he could see through the front window. "I've got to check this out," he said as he he led me towards the door. Table after table of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. With little plastic cups so you could smell and taste. Now, I've never been to a wine tasting before but I can only imagine it has to be somewhat similar to watching Bryan swirl the olive oil/or balsamic in his little cup, smell it with his eyes closed and then taste...accompanied by descriptions of the various flavors in each. Bryan takes his olive oil seriously.

In discussing price with the owner of the shop Bryan learned of a discount if he bought at least a dozen. He looked over at me, his eyes full of hope. "Think of all the awesome salads we could make with these!" he persuaded. He looked so darn cute...his face full of excitement. How could I say no? So while Bryan was trying to narrow his favorites down to just twelve, I went across the street to Starbucks for a "tall" hot chocolate. And it made me laugh a little bit. Being members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) we abide by the Word of Widsom...which means we don't drink. Wine, coffee, etc. So Bryan's wine tasting look-a-like and my little side trip into Starbucks struck me as really humorous. Maybe in a different life Bryan would've been a wine snob and I would've been addicted to my morning cup of joe.

(It's been less than two days and he's already used two flavors....)

4 comments:

Mary said...

I don't think I would ever have any reason to go into a store like that. I only get the regular olive oil from Sam's only to coat the bottom of my frying pans. No salad dressings for me thanks.

I bet he was like a kid in a candy store. You're certainly stocked up now! Are they any good?

Sara said...

I just hope you're bringing some yummy salad to the Easter party! :)

Mindy said...

I bet he is going to be making some incredible dinner's with all that Olive oil.

Sullivan Family said...

Delicious! Nothing better than good Olive Oil! I don't think people, who haven't tasted the good stuff, realize how good it tastes! T