Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bowling

The lovely Spring Break weather {insert sarcasm here} was making it impossible to spend any sort of time outside today so we decided to go bowling. It's been years since we last bowled. We had to explain to Lilian what bowling even was...she had no idea. Even Brandon had to be reminded to bring a pair of socks (he was wearing his new five finger shoes) because he forgot that you are required to wear those awesome bowling shoes! {More sarcasm...}
Lilian loved her shoes...thought they made a neat tap shoe type sound on the wood. Which meant that she did a happy dance for each and every pin she knocked down.


BOWLING STYLES:*Rebekah had this kind of flick of the wrist, palm down sort of bowling style.
*Julianne kind of speed walked up to the lane but right as I thought she was about to let go of the ball in one smooth move, she would stop and practically throw that ball down the lane like she was pitching in a baseball game.
*Brandon was our left handed, spin-meister. The ball would ricochet back and forth between the bumpers like he was playing pinball. Worked really well when he had a split.
Lilian, of course, used the metal rack. Which, we were disapprovingly told by the bowling employee, were supposed to be for handicapped bowlers. ("My grandchildren have been bowling since they were just 1 year old and they NEVER used the rack. But parents today...." accompanied by a couple of shakes of the head and some tsk, tsk noises.) Um...we decided to use it anyway.Julianne was kicking our trash until I got my groove on. All those high school bowling lessons came back to me and I started to get strike after strike. I'm not sure I have EVER bowled that well! I still remember the night back in college at the Sno-Cap Lanes in Ephraim where I bowled so badly that I was entertainment for the entire alley.

We had tons of fun and laughed A LOT. Can't wait to do it again...next time, with Bryan in tow. I have this feeling that he will very calmly and decidedly beat the pants off all of us.

6 comments:

Melissa@thebblog said...

Love, love, love the picture of all the kits at the beginning of the lane with their colorful shoes and even more colorful balls. I am hankering for bowling, have been for several years now. I suppose I just have to plan a trip for us one day but it never seems to happy. Will someone invite us please?

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Hey Melissa...next time we go with Bryan, we'll make sure you guys come with us. I'm sure it would make Bryan and Scott more excited about the outing if they knew they could hang out. Or maybe we'll just leave all the kids home (the girls could babysit Maddy) and we can do it as a double date and then go to dinner. :)

Shauna said...

I had no idea those racks were meant for the handicapped. Everywhere we've bowled, we see families using them in spades for their lil' ones. As for bad bowling, I'm one of those folks who have actually let the ball go on the backswing like you see in the movies. Highly embarrassing by the way.

Mary said...

So, are you going to tell us your score??? :-)

I remember last time we went bowling and asked for a metal rack for the kids and they wouldn't give us one. "Just for the handicap" they said. Really? I didn't see any handicap people that needed one right at that moment. I remember being annoyed.

Looks like fun! I think we need to get out and go again sometime soon.

Heidi Green said...

I love the pictures of the shoes and I LOVE the pic of Lillian dancing in her adorable outfit. :)

Camilla Millar said...

Loved this post!!

Davis told me today he misses Brandon since he's been sick.