Friday, May 14, 2010

Crazy Saturday: Strawberries

I wasn't the only one having a crazy Saturday. Back on the home front Bryan was staying mightily busy himself.
A little history:
Three years ago Bryan was serving as the assistant ward clerk in our old ward. The bishop gave him the assignment of coming up with a Mothers Day gift for all the women in the ward. He mentioned that chocolates might be nice seeing as flowers had been the gift of the day for many years. Bryan took that assignment to heart, and being the gourmet that he is, decided to make the chocolate gifts himself. So, the Saturday before Mothers Day (and 3 weeks till I was due to deliver Lilian!) Bryan took over our kitchen and churned out gift box after gift box filled with chocolate covered strawberries, toffee/peanut brittle and caramel. It was a huge hit with the mothers of the ward. The bishop was so pleased he joked that we were going to be given the Mothers Day gift assignment every year! (We moved 4 months later...)

Fast forward to this year. In our ward here the Sunday School presidency traditionally has the assignment of providing the Mothers Day gifts. Just a few months ago Bryan was called to be the 2nd counselor in the Sunday School presidency. And in a meeting a few weeks ago when the subject of Mothers Day gifts came up, Bryan told his fellow presidency members about his chocolate covered strawberries of three years ago. Of course the other men thought doing the gift boxes with strawberries was a great idea! And so, once again, the day before Mothers Day my kitchen became gift central. I have no idea how long it took Bryan to put all those boxes together...I was out riding Goldilocks. But when I walked in, he had just finished. The two of us looked like haggard twins...each having had quite a long day. He said, "I've been standing in front of this counter for HOURS. My legs ache!" "Really? How interesting. I've been riding my bike for HOURS." I said. "My legs really ache too!" He smiled. And then we both gratefully sank into some chairs to share our experiences of the day.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

That is still my most favoirte mother's day gift from the ward. He is so nice to do those kinds of things.

cami said...

Give Bryan a big THANKS from me! Those were delious! The best Mother's day present I've had from a ward!

Camilla Millar said...

Way to go Sarah and Bryan-- you did some great work!

MamaBug said...

Um wow!! And yum!