Thursday, October 15, 2009

Third and Final Chapter: Cabo San Lucas

In Cabo we had to anchor out in the bay and tender into the port. You don't realize just how huge the ship really is until you are on a tiny boat in the water right next to it!


Our plan was to go to Lovers Beach....a beach only accessible by water taxi. It's this little spit of sand in between a bunch of rock formations out in the water with the calm Sea of Cortez on one side and the rough Pacific Ocean on the other. It's a gorgeous beach!


Even though we didn't pay the extra $2 per person for the "tour", our taxi took us sightseeing anyway. Here's the cool arch in the rock.


Here are the...seals? Sea Lions? Are seals and sea lions the same thing? Hmmm. I'm not sure which these are but they were fun to see.


Calm Sea of Cortez vs. Rough Pacific Ocean. Can you guess which one Bryan preferred? These pictures don't even do it justice but some of these waves were HUGE! And the undertow was freakishly strong. Bryan and Gary got PUMMELED by these waves. They had sand in every crevice and cranny from being rolled around under the water. Bryan even ended up with bloody knees. We laughed and laughed...it was crazy fun!


Some waves got big enough that it was best to just turn and run and hope it caught you at the tail end of the crash.


My favorite picture.


Riding the crest of a smaller, more calm wave.


Waiting for impact.


Taking a breather.


This was on the Sea of Cortez side. We spent just as long there, bobbing up and down in the calmer waters. That's our ship out behind us. Unfortunately it was leaving earlier in the afternoon....our stay in Cabo San Lucas was the shortest of all three ports. We were sad about that because we would've loved to spend more time playing at the beach.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I think that I would have been freaking out about the hugeness of some of those waves. I'll take calmer waves over the big ones. I could never be a surfer! I'm jealous! What a fabulous vacation.

Mindy said...

Those waves are so cool.

Katie said...

You are making me want to go on vacation with just Jeremy and me. We haven't done a real one of those since our honeymoon. Jeremy has promised me a cruise for our tenth anniversary which is coming up next year. I can't wait!

Croft Family said...

I so need to go on a vacation. That looks like so much fun!