Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Moments

You know those moments where you feel so content, happy and like things couldn't be any more perfect at that exact moment? I had one a few minutes ago. It's snowing. I LOVE snow. I have a tradition that I started with my friend and college roommate, Heather, that the first storm of the year you break out the hot chocolate and listen to Christmas music....despite the date on the calendar. With that tradition in mind Bryan turned on some mellow, New Age-y Christmas music and I warmed up the hot chocolate. And as I was stirring the chocolate in my cup I realized that I was in the middle of one of those perfect moments.
I had one yesterday too. Lilian is a little bit obsessed with the school bus lately so I told her that we'd walk the kids to the bus stop yesterday morning. The air was fall crisp and there were colored leaves all over the ground. There were a whole bunch of kids at the corner wearing jackets and backpacks. There was a handful of boys tossing a football around in the street. And pretty soon that bus started trundling down the road to pick up the kids. Watching that whole scene....ahhh. Just perfect.
I live for those moments. I think we all do. Often they seem few and far between. They usually pop up when you are least expecting them. I think maybe they are all around us but we don't notice them as frequently because we are distracted, busy and not actively looking for them. It reminds me of Pres. Thomas S. Monson's talk about finding joy in the journey. "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family." Wise words.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I worry that sometimes these moments happen, but i miss them because I'm too busy to notice. Thank you for the reminder to "find joy in the journey". It was just what I needed to hear today.

DD said...

Sarah,
You are sounding so wise. Watch out! They'll make you Relief Society president instead of choir accompanist.
Love you. How nice to see that you are aware of contended moments in your life.
Mommy