Friday, September 25, 2009

Favorite Photo(s) Friday: Soccer girl

It's Fall. In past years Fall meant soccer. Of all my kids, Rebekah is the one that enjoyed soccer the most and was on a team for 4 years. And although I'm not really one to get excited about stereotypes, I guess you could say that I was a "soccer mom". I LOVED going to Rebekah's games. Rebekah was always the smallest team member but her coaches loved her because she was FAST and could weave in and out of other players to steal the ball away. Rebekah didn't like the pressure of playing goalie, didn't really care to be a forward and have the glory of making the goals (or the disappointment if she missed). Her preferred position was fullback. She defended the goalie. She got that ball turned away before the goalie even had to worry that it was coming her way. And she was good at it! I miss soccer games. Not the craziness of the schedule but more just the sitting in my big chair at the park, chatting with the other parents, cheering for Rebekah and enjoying the whole atmosphere of a fun sporting event in the Fall. Here's a few of my favorite photos of the soccer years...

This is Rebekah and her friend Deidra in 2003...their very first soccer game ever. Look how little they are! They didn't win a single game that season but they sure had fun!


I love seeing the contrast between Rebekah and some of her other teammates in this picture. Spring 2007.

Each new year and new team Rebekah would get a new soccer uniform. Colors changed...two years red, one purple, one blue...but the one thing that never changed was her number. She always insisted on being number 4.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I love doing sports with Dalton. Soccer is great fun. Right now Dalton is trying flag football and he loves it, but boy there are a lot more things to learn when it comes to football over soccer.

Croft Family said...

Daniel thinks he wants to play soccer this year. I will have to try and get him on a team.

Mindy said...

I love going to the games. Tyler is playing right now and it is so fun, he enjoys it so much. Love the picture with Deidra, they were so small.

Mary said...

I was a fullback too! Great position. Wow, she really was short in comparison to some of the other girls on the team. But short girls are cute! Way to go #4.