Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Biking

I was naive when I first realized that I'd need a bike to compete in my triathlon. I had bought Brandon's bike for $100...so surely an adult bike would be just a little more than that, right? I was rather shocked and overwhelmed when one of my neighbors took me to the bike store to introduce me into the biking world.

Compact or triple chainring
Clipless pedals
Shimano 105 componentry
carbon or aluminum frame
crankset
derailleur
fork
shifting

HUH???

I rode various brands of bikes. I spent hours on the computer doing research. I peppered biking enthusiasts with questions. And finally put down a much bigger wad of cash than I ever would've expected on a new bike.
Then came the question...what if I end up hating riding? What if, after all that time and money, I end up only using the bike for the triathlon? I was determined to not let that happen. So I've been riding all summer...averaging about 2-3 rides per week. At first it was a matter of pride...thinking to myself, "I don't care how tired I am or how much my behind hurts, I WILL ride this bike!" Then it was, "Wow, what great excersize! I've lost 5 pounds this summer!" Now it's more along the lines of, "Let's ride tonight...and tomorrow morning...and the next day too!" I'm enjoying my rides so much I'm craving them. And I am so attached to my bike it's like I've made a new friend. I even pat the seat as I walk by it in the garage and think fondly about how many miles the two of us have been through together.
This past Saturday I rode in the Hess Cancer Foundation Legacy Parkway Bike Tour with my biking buddies. Just a 20 mile, flat, out and back, fast ride. Wow, we had fun! Mylissa and me before the ride began.


Brenda and Burke. Brenda got her bike last summer and just within the past few weeks convinced her husband, Burke, to get on board. Think there is any chance I'll get Bryan on a bike eventually??

6 comments:

Croft Family said...

I love riding but just can't find the money to buy a new bike.

Mary said...

Good for you for keeping up with your riding.

Greg & Dlora said...

Hmm, I can see Bryan liking to bike and getting all in to the gear and the bike and the whole science of speed. Go for it.
Mommy

Katie said...

I would love to get a bike, but for me, I'm sure it would be an adult bike from Wal-Mart or Target that would let me ride around the block with Dalton and not much else. I don't think I could swallow spending as much as you did on a bike. However, when it comes time for me to replace my treadmill I may just be spending that much.

MamaBug said...

I'd love to buy a new bike for my hubby. He loves to ride but hasn't much since his mission. After graduation, right? :D

Mindy said...

I'd love a new bike, it's so fun to go out and ride. There is always hope for Bryan, he did go to father's and son's this year.