Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Women of Steel


I just finished registering for a triathlon today. It's in May. As it is a triathlon, we're talking swimming, biking, and running. I don't even own a bike. Yet. Am I crazy? Maybe I am. But I am also really excited. I watched many of my neighbors train for this event last year and decided to join them for this year's event when they emailed me the info a few days ago.
Years ago I had a friend who was training for a marathon because, he said, everyone had "Run a Marathon" as a lifetime goal that they someday wanted to achieve. I laughed. I had NO desire to do a marathon or anything even remotely like it. But I'm finding myself coming around to his way of thinking. Maybe it's the neighborhood I live in. Maybe it's the fact that I'm getting older and want to prove that I really can still do something like this. Well, whatever it is, I'm officially registered. No turning back now! Wish me luck.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Wow. I think you are crazy! Or maybe it's that I'm just plain lazy. Either way, good luck! Seriously though, that it really neat. I wish that I had that kind of determination.

Croft Family said...

I'm so excited for you. I will be there to cheer you on.

Mindy said...

That is so cool, I'm excited for you.

Shauna said...

Awesome and inspiring, good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

Camilla Millar said...

Good luck-- I wish you many lovely hours of training. In all honesty, though--don't you feel like after your "baby" hits about 18 months life gets a little easier? I've found Roger can now play with toys, keep his attention on T.V. (yes--I know I shouldn't be grateful for that), and communicate beter. In other words, I think it's probably a great time to start training!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Wish I had that kind of drive. To help you in your quest though, check out http://www.woot.com/. Their offer for today is a heart monitor with a chest strap that can keep you on track! Probably worth the $20 to make sure you don't over-do things.

Kim said...

So you got in???? Monica tried to get on today and it was closed? Did you register in the charity slot? I'm thinking that's what I may have to do if I want to get in. I'm just debating if I want to pay that extra $$$$ for the charity spot. I'm so sad it's full!!!

Kim said...

oh, and by the way.....CONGRATULATIONS for taking the plunge and signing up. That's the hardest part! You will have a great time!!!

DD said...

Oh, for heaven's sake, you're NOT getting old.
Dad

DD said...

My cousin Wynette said she participated in a triathlon down in Utah Valley. she lives in Spanish Fork and I wonder if that is the same triathlon you are signed up for. Maybe you'll see her, not that you'd recognize her. I think just getting ready for the event will be great motivation to get in shape. It will be fun to see how you do. And notice all the interest you got on your blog column!
Mommy

Powell Family said...

I signed up too! I did it last year with Layna McKay and this year I am doing it with my sister. It is so fun (and hard) but totally worth it! I'll see you there!