Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Proud to be an American


I watched President Obama take his oath of office yesterday and listened to his speech. Here are some things that jumped out at me.

"Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends-hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism-these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history."

"For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate."

"...firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task."

"...why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath."

It was a GOOD speech. I saw many in the audience wiping away tears and at first, I thought they were just silly. Yes, it's a great speech. Yes, this is a historic moment with the first black president. I get that. I appreciate that. But c'mon! And then towards the end I started getting the chills and found myself dangerously close to tears as well. I know President Obama and I don't see eye to eye on everything. But I like him. I really do. I really hope he can do some good for this country. I think he can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Jon and I talked a lot about the speach, and it WAS good. Obama has always been a great performer. And, like you, we thought it was powerful and we really hope that all the things that he promises and hopes for this country are true. There's just that little bit of doubt in the back of our minds about his motives. He says all the right things, but why is he saying them? Does he really believe what he's saying? or does he believe that what he's saying will win him support? We really couldn't shake it down and be sure. Still, I hope it's a case of fake-it-till-you-make-it...If he can live up to the personality and the promises he's publicized and some day become the president we all want him to be, then I'll be totally happy that he won! Hoping for the best!

Croft Family said...

I didn't watch it, but I hope that he does good for this country. I hope that he does not dabble to much into world affairs and that he works on the problems this country needs fixed. I hope that he can keep his promises that he made during all his speeches and that they are not just fluff.

DD said...

Daddy called and said that I ought to watch the inauguaral speech and I found I was reluctant to do it. But then I told myself that he is our president and I need to respect that office. So after putting in some laundry and getting my breakfast ready, I turned on the TV. Oops. I tuned in to the poem at the end and the benediction. So I got online and read the talk instead. I missed Obama's famous delivery, but I was very, very impressed with the talk. Very well written and full of great ideas and high standards. He has given America a vision for the future that I hope we all reach. I was also pleased that he was not shy about invoking the help of God. I'm glad you shared some of your favorite quotes.
Mommy

Jan T. said...

I too am hoping that he can live up to all the promises....I think it's good to cautiously hopeful!:)

Shauna said...

No matter where you stand I think we can all accept that it was a great and historic moment in our country's history. It was a moving moment.