Sunday, September 18, 2011

BYU vs. Utah....

 ....aka The Holy War
It's a great rivalry.  I look forward to it every year.
Despite the fact that I hold a bachelors degree from the University of Utah and am proud to do so, when it comes to football, I bleed blue.  (Family tradition.  Try as I might, I can't switch loyalties...it's just too ingrained in me.)

This year we were invited to watch the game with some friends down the street.  A BBQ first and then some serious football.

We were split pretty evenly between Ute red and Cougar blue which made it all the more fun.  Those representing the red cheering section ended up with much more to cheer about than the blue, unfortunately, so I was very glad to be watching the game amongst friends rather than by myself where, I'm sure, I would've been much more depressed.
Fumble, fumble, fumble, fumble, interception and oh, did I mention fumble?
Wow.
Six...really???
Final score: Utah 54  BYU 10.
(My poor little Cougars...how emotionally devastated they must have been.)     
I am, by far, the most passionate about BYU football in my little family.  Truth be told, though my husband and children would consider themselves, when pressed,  "for BYU"...they don't really care all that much.  Brandon looked at me like I was just a little bit nuts when I insisted he wear a blue shirt to the rivalry party. "Football is not my sport, Mom" he said.  "Do it for me, please." I replied.  Too involved in the game, I didn't realize he had left at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.  So I was surprised when a bit later he made a grand entrance designed to get my attention, a sly grin on his face.  Along with the grin, he was wearing  red, red, RED!  Face paint and everything.  Trying to get a rise out of me.  Little stinker.  :)

2 comments:

Heidi Green said...

We're in Brandon's camp over here... we really don't care about college sports much. It looks like you guys had fun though. Your area of the neighborhood always has some kind of fun going on. :)

Lillian looked so cute at church today with her Pooh band-aid. I hope she's feeling ok. Those young ones are such troopers!

And, I've been poring over your master bathroom pictures for the past couple of days. I think I'm painting mine this week (I've got the paint) and I'm gonna do a similar color. Did you do all the walls?

Mary said...

I'm not even going to comment about Brandon's choice of colors...it was bad enough to be there in person. This is a another real blow...such a shame. :-)