Thursday, April 1, 2010

Michael Buble

My sister, Melissa, and I went to the Michael Buble concert this evening. My cheeks hurt from smiling so big. My hands are sore from clapping so hard. And not only does that man have some serious pipes on him, he is wicked funny!
"Did you like that opening?" (cheers from the audience) "Do you mind if I send around a collection plate? That *&#! is expensive!!" (referring to the fireworks at the end of the opening number.)
But he was also genuine and darn right humble.
His final encore number was an old Carpenters song called "A Song For You." Towards the end of the song the curtains closed around the band with him still standing out front, all alone. You could hear, still, the music but it was quieter, muffled. He stepped away from the microphone, took out his earphones and sang "I love you in a place where there is no space or time, I love you for my life, you are a friend of mine. And when my life is over, remember when we were together. We are alone now and I'm singing this song to you." Sang it, belted it...out to us in the audience. I was blown away...it was so effective!
I haven't been to too many concerts in my life. Choral concerts, symphony concerts...yes, but not "rock" concerts. And not that Michael Buble is technically rock...but you know what I mean. A few months ago a questionnaire/survey type thing was circulating around facebook. It wanted you to list the top 25 concerts you had attended. I skipped it. A list of top 25 books? That's only hard because it's difficult to narrow it down to only 25. A list of 25 plays/musicals I have seen, even...that I could do easily. But rock concerts....I have a hard time listing 25. Not because it's hard to choose which were the best but because I think I have only been to 6 or 7 total. And now you are probably thinking..."What in the world were you doing during high school and college when everyone else was concert hopping??" Probably reading and going to plays!

So, my list of concerts:
Colin Raye
Garth Brooks
Alphaville
Josh Groban
American Idol season 6
Depeche Mode
Michael Buble
Honestly...I think that's it!

Granted, I don't have a lot to choose from, but of my list...I would say Michael Buble was the best. Of course, I may still be in that "after-concert-glow"....but, wow. It was one heck of an awesome evening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun, and SO jealous! Did he sing songs from his new CD?

Jill said...

That is AWESOME! I am so jealous! I'm loving his song, 'Home' right now....would have loved to hear that live!