Friday, April 23, 2010

Two girls holding microphones...

This girl here...she was the narrator in her 6th grade play, Shakespeare's "How You Like It." I was rather impressed with the performance. Because, honestly, thinking of a bunch of 6th graders doing Shakespeare? Sounds like a somewhat painful evening, with expectations of fumbled lines and missed cues. Shakespeare isn't easy. But I was pleasantly surprised. These kids delivered their lines smoothly and understandably. The costumes and sets were great. And, as usual, it's always great to watch Julianne perform...she continually amazes me.


And this girl...she sang, with her friend Jenny, the song "For Good" from "Wicked" in the Jr. High Talent Show. First Jenny convinced Rebekah that she should sing with her. Then the two of them spent ages deciding on a song. Then came practice, practice, practice. As much as I LOVE this song, I was getting heartily sick of it! Then came the auditions. Rebekah was nervous...especially because she had a bit of a leftover cold. But the next day she called from school to excitedly inform me that their names were on the official, final Talent Show list. Then came MORE practice. And phone calls back and forth debating what to wear. Finally, the day came. The talent show was being put on as two separate assemblies. Kind of nice that after all that practice they were able to perform twice. I went to the first one. My hands were shaking as I held up the camera to get some shots and I realized I was nervous for her! I know from experience what kind of nerves come with singing a solo in front of that many people. I needn't have worried because, wow! My girl up there was calmly holding a microphone and singing like it's something she does every day. They were great! The crowd clapped and cheered and I was so proud I could hardly stand it!

2 comments:

Croft Family said...

Your girls have amazing voices. Ofcourse they did great. You sound like one proud mom.

Liz said...

Wow, they're both growing up fast. Such pretty girls! I remember being a narrator for our 6th grade Shakespeare play, "The Twelfth Night". It was so fun, and that has always been one of my favorite Shakespeare plays ever since, but I have a feeling it was probably more painful than my parents let on at the time. I was nowhere near as good a performer as Julianne is.