Sunday, April 25, 2010

You scream, I scream, we all scream for icecream!

We took the kids out for icecream on Saturday evening. But not to just any place. We went to Leatherby's. Which meant that not only did we partake of some seriously yummy (and BIG) icecream creations, it was also a trip down memory lane for me. Leatherby's opened when I was in elementary school. My first time was with my family, Katie and I having each received gift certificates to the place after winning the Reflections contest. It was decorated to have an old time icecream parlor feel. They had a menu chock full of yummy selections...all named after the owner's children. I remember being rather excited to order the "Sarah Sundae." Since then I have been back many, many times. After 9th grade Promotion where I downed a HUGE malt of some kind, egged on by a friend who said there was no way I could eat it all. (I spent the night sprawled out on the bed moaning...) In high school for cast parties on closing night of all our musicals. I had a boyfriend who worked there that I visited on lunch breaks. On occasional weekends home from college I would take my little sisters over. And now I get to take my own children. Brandon ordered some gigantic sundae that the waiter expressed concern about him finishing. He obviously doesn't know Brandon! Because that kid had no problem polishing off every last spoonful. I commented to the server about how busy the place was...specifically about how many big groups were coming in. "This is nothing," he said. "You should see it when the high school comes over for a cast party!" I laughed. "They STILL do that?" I asked, and told him that 20 years ago I was one of those kids that used to come over for cast parties and after football games. "Yep," he said. "They still do that."

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I love Leatherby's, I don't think I have been since you and I took the kids, and that was a long time ago.

Mary said...

Ah, the memories. I always get Christopher's Mud Pie....so yummy!

Melissa@thebblog said...

is that a bart's black and tan Brandon is eating? of course, they don't call it that anymore, it's some other name. My favorite. Oh, now I want one.

Jill said...

Oh Leatherby's! Now...did you also do Iceberg shakes?

Anonymous said...

Oh I love Leatherby's!!!