Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stress Fracture?

It's now been a week. I think it's time to come out of denial and reluctantly embrace the fact that most likely I have a stress fracture in the 2nd metatarsal in my left foot. Sigh.

A metatarsal stress fracture is a fracture that occurs in one or more of the metarsals, or bones of the foot. Metatarsal stress fractures are generally overuse injuries due to increased intensity in exercise, insufficient rest or improper footwear. The muscles can no longer absorb the stress, which puts more pressure on the bone, causing tiny fractures. Stress fractures can be difficult to identify, because they occur gradually, rather than from a specific injury or incident. They are most common in runners, basketball players, gymnasts and other athletes.

I don't remember any pain when it happened but I do remember the day. The pain came on gradually over the next few hours. I did an especially intense "insanity" workout that morning and was trying to really push myself. I'm sure that's what finally put me over the edge.
It's now been a week. I can walk without pain when wearing shoes. The pain comes when I'm barefoot or wearing my five finger shoes which are supposed to mimic being barefoot. A few days ago I was complaining to Bryan that my ankle was starting to hurt instead of my metatarsal. That's when I realized I was walking on the side of my foot to avoid stepping normally, and therefore directly, on the forefront of my foot where it is painful. Although I have taken a good 5 days off from my "insanity" workouts I have continued to keep up with my running schedule. I think the fracture is slight. However I am a little worried that if I'm not careful I may break the bone all the way through which will destroy all my race plans for this summer....let alone causing me grief just in every day living. Blah. What a pain.

3 comments:

Melissa@thebblog said...

what a pain - literally! Sorry about that. I hate when my feet hurt!

Greg & Dlora said...

Be wise and careful to let your foot heal. If your foot feels better wearing shoes--do it! Put those 5-finger funny shoes away for a while. I'm sorry that your foot hurts; I empathize, having bunions or arthritis in both my big toe joints. I need to listen to my own advice. I know that wearing high heels (and when I say high heels I'm not talking the height you girls wear) makes my toes hurt, but sometimes you just have to wear pretty shoes!
Love you, Mommy

MamaBug said...

Owie!!