Tuesday, March 22, 2011

St. George: The Vacation

I had grand visions in my head of sunshine and warmth. Visiting the sand dunes in Snow Canyon, playing around on the red rocks above town, finding a good park for a picnic. Ahh...doesn't it sound nice?
Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. But I am happy to report that despite plans and visions dashed, we rallied and still had some serious (indoor) relaxing and much needed family time. An overcast and slightly rainy day doesn't conflict with video watching, card playing, book reading and indoor swimming. Plus, we had cookie dough. Everything is better with cookie dough.

So we did this:

We sat in the hot tub. Ahhhh.....And had floating contests.
And swimming races. (I'm thinking it's a good thing I'm not signed up for any triathlons this summer seeing as my swimming technique is...well, rusty.)

And some of this:
And a lot of this....We watched "Independence Day" (Brandon's token alien adventure flick), and "The Wedding Planner" (because to the girls, a video-a-thon is just not complete without a RomCom). We watched "Secretariat"...twice....(a road trip to Churchill Downs, anyone?) And of course, Veggie Tales for Lilian. Which meant that this song was stuck in my head all weekend:

We are the pirates who don't do anything
We just stay at home and lie around

And if you ask us to do anything
We'll just tell you, we don't do anything

Oh, I've never plucked a rooster and I am not too good at ping-pong
And I've never thrown my mashed potatoes up against the wall
And I've never kissed a chipmunk, and I've never gotten head lice
And I have never been to Boston in the fall
And I’ve never licked a spark plug
And I’ve never sniffed a stinkbug
And I’ve never painted daises
On a big red rubber ball

(They don't call them "Silly Songs" for nothing!)


The girls played countless hands of Phase 10.
Oh...and did I mention we read? A LOT? Cause our family...yeah, we are book-a-holics.






















Look! Spring! The sun came out for a few hours on our last day. Right in time for me to take a break from my vacuuming, laundry and packing...and at least take a couple of pics of the flowering trees..all the while grumbling to myself "Seriously?? NOW the sun comes out? Sigh."

5 comments:

Croft Family said...

Looks like so much fun and relaxing. Love St. George

Jill said...

Oh, I love St. George!

Mindy said...

That is crazy, when I was down just the weekend before it was in the 70's the whole time, silly mother nature. So did you get cupcakes or anything?

Mary said...

Well shoot. Even without the sun it sounds like a heavenly vacation. Glad you had fun.

Heidi Green said...

Bummer about the weather. Thumbs up for movie-a-thons, books, and hot tubs.

Oh, and congrats to Brandon on his meet. I love those action shots - he is strong!