Monday, March 21, 2011

Bring on spring!

It is officially spring.

Which means I will now stop rhapsodizing about the wonders of snow and winter. I will stop reminding people how many days of winter we still have left when they moan and groan about yet another storm. I will stop praying for snow.

It's not that I don't like spring. Heavens no...it's just the opposite! Overall, I like spring even better than winter. But see, I really enjoy living in a state where we have four distinct seasons. And I'm a firm believer that those seasons should act as they are supposed to. Which means flowering trees, light rain and mild temps in spring. Ridiculous heat and, If I'm lucky, occasional lightning and thunder storms in summer. Changing leaves and crisp air and temps in fall. And of course, bitter cold and lots of snow in winter.

That being said, I will now bemoan any early spring snow along with the rest of you. I will glory in the flowering trees, my daffodil and tulip shoots and the greening up of my grass. I will happily revel in the warmer temperatures which allows me to take Lilian to the park, lounge on my back deck, and do more biking and running.

But consider this, all of you who can't figure out why I love winter so much....
Spring also brings with it a whole host of yard work. Yard work that, at my house, I'm the one primarily responsible for. I like my yard work, I truly do...and am happy to do it. But it is exactly that...work. Which means that it's one more thing to add to my already busy schedule of cooking, cleaning, chauffeuring the kids around, taking care of a 3 year old and more or less just being the *"homemaker goddess" that I already work hard to be. Is it any wonder that I enjoy winter so much seeing as it brings me a really nice break?

*Inside joke. Bryan and I were joking around the other day about my "goddess" status. (hahaha!)

3 comments:

MG said...

I agree but I love planting and cleaning up after winter. Ahh warm weather again. Your yard was always super pretty when I lived near you.

Croft Family said...

Spring is my favorite season. And yes yard work galore but you do have a beautiful yard.

Melissa@thebblog said...

I've seen crocuses and pansies!! Oh how I love the flowers when they peak out. Please snow - stay away.