Friday, March 11, 2011

Favorite Photo Friday: Lip Sync Night

June 1991

Remember road-shows? Where each ward in the stake would put on a 15 minute skit...travelling around from ward building to ward building throughout the stake in one night? It was a yearly tradition that I remember watching and enjoying as a kid. When I got to be a teenager, our stake had done away with road-shows for the most part. Instead, our ward did elaborate lip sync nights....each axillary coming up with a song complete with costumes, sets, etc. Even the bishopric would get into it (my dad was bishop at the time) and I remember laughing hysterically at my dad dressed up in a wig and dress with his two counsellors lip syncing to "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" by the Beach Boys.

In this picture the Young Women had done a lip sync to "Dry Bones." You know the one...

The toe bones connected to the foot bone, the foot bones connected to the ankle bone... Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones...

Black lights across the whole stage with all the YW in black "connecting" white bones throughout the song. I was one of the lead "singers"...or should I say, "syncers"...which is why my face was covered in white make-up.

Tonight the youth in our stake performed the musical "Receive These Things." A huge undertaking involving over 300 kids including my own two girls and myself as a ward director. To many of these kids, putting on a dramatic production in a church setting like this seemed completely strange and foreign to them. They'd never heard of road-shows before. The show went well and the kids did an amazing job...I was so proud of them! How I hope that they made memories they will cherish...kind of in the same way that I still hang on to the memories of the stake and ward productions of my youth. A sneak peak...that's Rebekah in the middle. (I plan to post a little more about the show later this weekend.)

1 comment:

Melissa@thebblog said...

I remember the lip sync show, my class did "409" by the Beach Boys. I recall dad sitting in his red, wheeled chair from the Bishops office in his "little old lady" get-up with Brother Leishman and Brother Reschke pushing him around. It was Awesome!!