Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of School

The kids woke up bright and early, so anxious were they for the new year to begin. Rebekah is heading to 8th grade and feeling so much more comfortable today than last year when Jr. High was still new. Julianne is a big fish in the pond as a 6th grader this year. And Brandon rounds out the bunch, excited to be in the 3rd grade. After sending Rebekah off a bit earlier Lilian and I walked the other two down to the bus stop. Lilian, seeing the other kids with their backpacks, insisted on bringing a bag of her own. And then was quite disappointed when I told her she couldn't get on the bus with everyone else...that she could only watch. So things are quiet at my house right now. After a whirlwind, crazy, busy summer it seems a little strange. But strange in a good way. I'm rather excited and relieved to have some structure to our days.

See Rebekah's shirt? I picked it out at the store....and she not only agreed that it was cute but she wanted to buy it and wear it on the first day of school! Usually she shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head when I suggest that an item of clothing is cute. Will miracles never cease??


Don't look too closely at the weeds in my flower bed...it's on my list of things to do. Sigh.

6 comments:

Jan T. said...

Such cute kids....and yes, it's shocking to have a teenager actually like something we pick out!:) Glad I'm not the only one going through that....I was beginning to worry!

Mary said...

I think Rebekah is lucky to have such a cute and trendy Mom to help pick out clothes. Lucky for me that my first two are boys and could really care less what they wear... because I lack in that department! Cute kids. The whole bunch of them. We start tomorrow and I think Abby will be sad as well when the boys go.

DD said...

I didn't look at the weeds. I looked at all the bright flowers and the wonderful combination of shrub textures and shapes in your beds. Very nice!
Oh, the kids are cute flowers too. My goodness, Brandon is handsome boy. You'll have as much trouble keeping girls away from him as keeping boys away from beautiful Rebekah and Julianne!
Love, Mommy

Croft Family said...

It's amazing how fast summer came and went!!! It was so good seeing you guys lastnight. Can't wait for Saturday. Your kids look so cute for their first day.

Greg and Jayne said...

Sarah - I love to have readers! Thank you for that, and congratulations on the the first day of school. I had sort of a weird one with my baby gone and starting college tomorrow. It really sank in today that I'm done with the everyday part of mothering. But then I am going to Boston to help child #1 move so it never totally ends!

DD said...

And it's morning glory. Arggggh!

Adorable children, though. Roses among the morning glory.

Dad