Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Depeche Mode

Bryan and I (belatedly) celebrated our anniversary last night by going to the Depeche Mode concert. Neither one of us are big concert goers but this was a group that both of us really enjoyed in high school so we thought it might be fun to get tickets. And wow! We had great seats! Row 14 on the floor...just left of center. We were so excited that we'd be able to see so incredibly well. And then Depeche Mode took the stage...and everyone jumped out of their seats to dance...and stayed that way for the ENTIRE concert. So I still found myself craning my neck and peeking around heads. And I started thinking that those people up in the bowl with the stadium seating could see better than we could! Honestly, though. With a beat like that, a beat that you can feel literally thumping in your chest, how can you not get up and dance? I could not stand still. Actually tried, but could not stand still. And being that near the stage meant that I saw up-close and personal details of the singers. They weren't just little figures bouncing around on stage. They were real people with sweat and eye liner and body glitter.But just as much as I enjoyed watching the band, I watched the audience. I've never seen so many "thirty-somethings" in one place before! A few people in their twenties...no teenagers at all. And they were all singing these songs word for word, hands in the air, heads bopping in rhythm. Bryan and I shared quite a few humorous smiles as we watched the people around us.
And now I'm wondering if my kids, who probably see us as old and out of it, think we're cool for going to a rock concert? Or if they think we're foggies for going to a rock concert of a group that they've never even heard of before.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I sure think that you look pretty in that picture. And I had to laugh at your "people watching." It would be pretty funny to watch some of those middle aged people dancing and singing. Some people just get into the music! What a fun thing for you and Bryan to be able to do together.

Croft Family said...

I second Mary that was my first thought. "Wow Sarah sure looks pretty" Next I thought you are pretty cool for going to a rock concert.

Katie said...

The only bands/groups I know well enough to want to go see in concert are country and Jeremy would never go for that. Oh well.

Camilla Millar said...

Actually, I think they probably would think it was pretty lame to be going to a concert of someone they didn't know. . . .I remember my Dad purchasing a BeeGees CD and rolling my eyes, but I appreciate them now.