Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer

Summer is not my favorite season. I don't do heat well. I don't do fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-with-no-schedule-because-the-kids-are-out-of-school well. But I DO like the fact that I live in a place that has four distinct seasons. I look forward to and enjoy all sorts of different things in each of those distinct seasons....including, I realized recently, summer.
Some good things about summer:
*Swimming. There is something relaxing and refreshing about even just looking at a pool filled with softly rippling, blue water...let alone actually climbing in on a hot day.
*Summer foods. Watermelon, corn on the cob, snap peas, strawberry shortcake, raspberries, BLTs, icecream cones....
*4th of July. I am a sap regarding any and all things patriotic.
*The smell of newly cut grass. I may not enjoy doing the actual cutting but I like the smell.
*The peaceful, calm and cool of early summer mornings.
*No homework. That's probably a given.
*Summer rainstorms.
There. No one can say I don't try to look for the good in things!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

You know I love summer over winter anytime. But i'm having a hard time waking up and getting things done like I did when the kids were in school. So all of our schedules are way off, and that isnt always fun.

Liz said...

I need to try and look at the positive of summer a bit more like you. You'll have to be my inspiration, since June has been so hot this year here! But you're right, there is nothing better than a nice cool pool to jump in, or a juicy slice of watermelon. :)

Croft Family said...

I love summer for all the reasons you don't like it and all the reasons you do like it. Summer is the best season for me!

DD said...

Sarah, where do you get all your fun illustrations? I loved the sizzling hot sun picture in this blog. And how is your hot fever? Are you feeling better? Did anybody else get sick?
Mom