Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ouch...

I had a brutal reminder last night that I am NOT a dancer, nor am I very graceful. I was at a rehearsal for "Pirates of Penzance" working on blocking and choreography for the duet between Mabel (me) and Frederic. We were doing this on the grass outside the Community Center....kind of nice, actually, to be out in the fresh air and shade instead of shut up in a stuffy room. Also kind of fun to watch the expressions of people walking by as they watched us singing and dancing out on the lawn! But, I digress.

All went well with rehearsal. We had fun learning the choreography, we laughed a lot. I went home with a slight headache and a kinked neck from all the spinning and twirling...mostly a cause of me trying to twirl or spin the wrong way and having to whip my head back around the way I was supposed to be going....

Then in the middle of the night I realized my foot was aching. I got up to walk around a bit and realized that it hurt quite a lot. I assumed that I had tucked it up under me strangely as I slept, that it would feel better soon and went back to sleep. But the ache woke me again around 6:00. And I started vaguely remembering a specific twirl last night where I caught my pinky toe in the grass as I moved. No horrific pain at that moment. Just kind of a "Whoops...that didn't feel good." But then nothing. Back to twirling and spinning I went. But this morning? Oh my, I think maybe I broke or dislocated my toe. No bruising but some slight swelling and a big OUCH and major limping when I walk.

Kind of funny, really. Rebekah and I originally had considered running a 5K together this morning. But last week at our neighbourhood carnival she landed funny after a jump off an inflatable and as has been walking with a limp all week. We decided against the 5K because of that. I'm glad we saved the entrance fees because obviously, all of the sudden I'm not in any position to do any running either. Here's hoping I can get through all of our Independence Day festivities today!
____________________________

An update:
This morning, Sunday, my toe feels more or less, fine. As I made my way through the day yesterday the pain got less and less and by this morning the swelling has gone. Looks like I didn't break or dislocate it after all. I only feel a slight twinge every now and again when I step on it wrong. Strange...I could hardly walk yesterday morning and then by evening I was back to normal? But I am grateful.

1 comment:

Katie said...

How fun to be out singing and dancing. I miss my show choir days.