Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cows


We have cows in our backyard. Well, the field behind our backyard, really. And I swear, there are probably close to 100 cows back there. I find myself watching them a lot. One died yesterday somewhat close to our fence. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out if that mound back there really was a cow, or if it was something else. We looked out various windows trying to get a better glimpse. We brought out binoculars. Brandon finally went outside in the snow to check it out and came back with word that, yes, it really was a dead cow. And then the kids spent all of dinner making up songs about dead cows. Bryan told them the melody was too upbeat for such a sad message so they changed it into a funeral dirge. Same words though. "Poor dead cow in the back of our house. We're sorry that you had to leave so soon...." Let me tell you, it was quite the concert.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh..now that is funny! Poor Cow! Where you living now?!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Ooh! Do you remember my sister Joni's old girl's camp song about a dead cow?! The Diesel Bovine Blues? It would be perfect!

Drivin' down the highway saw a cow up ahead.
'fore I could stop, poor thing was dead.
I never knew that a cow was so big.
Darn thing totaled my rig.
Well cow's n’ diesels don't mix they say, and now I know that it's true.
That's my third 18-wheeler this month.
I've got the diesel bovine blues.

Then you switch to the verse for the cow and just sing: moo moo moo mooo moo moo mooo moo mooo moo.
Moo moo moo moo moo, moo moo moo MOOOO! (That’s when the truck hits him and then you just sit quietly until the chorus starts again...)
Well cows n’ diesels don't mix they say...


He he he. Yes...my sister is hilarious. Good times.

Mindy said...

Oh poor cow, I wonder how he died.

Mary said...

Only your girls would make up a crazy song about dead cows! But come to think about it, Melissa and and I made up a song about "creepy crawlers" and convinced Rachel that we learned the song at school in choir. I think she believed us. I'm not sure how...

April said...

Does it smell too bad? I guess it must not if they have houses so close, right?

April said...

I meant the cows in general, not the dead one...

Shauna said...

Very funny. I think it would be fun watching cows.

Jill said...

We are so rural! I love that your kids made up a song about the dead cow! Classic!