Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Alarm Anxiety

Has this ever happened to you? You know you need to get up extra early for something. We're talking extra, extra early....like, in my case, 5:15 AM. So you set your alarm clock. You check and double check that it's set correctly. Making sure that it's not accidentally set for 5:15 PM instead of AM. Or, like me last week, 6:15 instead of 5:15. And then you rush to bed trying your hardest to get in as much sleep as possible before that alarm rings at what still seems like the middle of the night. But then you sleep like garbage. You are so worried about that darn alarm, or about trying to get a decent number of hours of shut eye despite getting up so early, that you keep waking up. Tossing and turning, finding yourself checking the clock every couple of hours to make sure you didn't oversleep. It's the pits. And as I was sitting in the car at 5:30 AM this morning with some friends heading to our swimming class I found out that I'm not the only one that struggles with this. We call it Alarm Anxiety. Do you get it too?

10 comments:

Mary said...

Oh my heavens yes. I get it all the time. I remember one time Melissa Sellers asked me to do her paper route while they were on vacation and I had to be up at like 4 something. I was SO worried about sleeping in and getting her in trouble because no one would get their papers that morning. Yep, it happens to me too!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes I do!!

Mindy said...

Yea me too and I hate when that happens, it's so stressful.

Anonymous said...

I remember it being called the 'warrior sleep' because you're always at the ready and jump up prepared to fight. Sad thing is, I don't feel very Amazonian on mornings like that. And I HATE it when you FINALLY get to sleep, but startle yourself out of it only two minutes before the alarm is supposed to sound? Ugh. Curses! I could have had two more minutes!

Croft Family said...

It happens to me every friday when I have to wake up for work. It is not fun!

Katie said...

Unfortunatly, yes. Ugh!

Jill said...

Oh yep. That's why I don't get up before 7am anymore!

Camilla Millar said...

Yes, I can totally relate. Why do we do things that are so non-productive?

Melissa@thebblog said...

Yes, I have that problem too! I hate it!!! You can't even enjoy the sleep you do get, why do we even bother with alarms? You'd think that if your body can wake up on it's own you wouldn't need one. Of course, this would never work and you'd end up sleeping terribly soundly and be 2 hours late!

Sara said...

I tend to have insomnia, as it is, so knowing I have to get up to my alarm early just adds to the problem. The solution I've found is just stay up so late that you're nodding off at the computer or while reading a book. Then sqeeze in a nap the next day if you gotta. ;)