Sunday, January 23, 2011

We Like To Read

All three of my oldest kids were out with friends last night and had eeked every minute they could out of the evening, all coming in exactly at their 10:30 curfew and no earlier.

Point being, it was late.

A little past 11:00, as I was passing through the living room in an attempt to turn off lights, lock doors and more or less shut down the house for the night I was surprised to find all three of them reading, each inhabiting a different couch or chair. Brandon had fallen asleep but the other two were going strong. I had thought that they were down in their rooms, maybe not fully asleep but at least winding down for the night.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. For me, winding down for the night does include reading. Doesn't matter how late I'm going to bed or how tired I am, I refuse to turn off my lamp until I've read at least a page or two. I guess my children take after their mother....

(By 12:40 Rebekah had fallen asleep but Julianne was STILL reading.)


Julianne reading: "Flipped" by Wendelin Van Draanen


Brandon reading: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days" by Jeff Kinney


Rebekah reading: "The Lost Hero" by Rick Riordan (and hiding her face because she was irritated I was trying to take her picture.)

5 comments:

Mary said...

That's great! Such good children :-) Ethan is reading "The Lost Hero" too. He's loving it.

Jenn said...

I love it!! I read whenever I can too, and I hope that I can pass on my love of reading on to my children as well. Alex knows that I'll let him stay up later if he's reading.

Heidi Green said...

Ahh, we're kindred spirits in the reading department. I actually have consistent problems with my kids staying up too late because of reading. I keep trying to tell myself that it's a good problem to have.

btw - Love all the book choices. :)

Mindy said...

My kids do that too. I love going into there rooms finding them with flashlight's reading.

Melissa@thebblog said...

Ah, to be a teenager again when I cared so desperatly about how I looked! Oh, wait, I really, really don't want to be a teenager again! I'll just live with how I look.