Sunday, June 26, 2011

THS class of '91 reunion

Bryan and I attended my 20 year high school reunion last night. It's very strange to think I am old enough to have graduated TWENTY years ago! I don't FEEL that old. I don't think I LOOK that old either (thankfully). But having your 20 year reunion just seems to be one of those markers in life that proves the time is passing. Along with having a teenage daughter in high school or finding gray hair...it's kind of a "Welcome to Middle-Age!"


I've changed a lot since high school. When I graduated back in June 0f 1991 I had shoulder length, curly, big, BLONDE hair. I didn't even weigh 100 pounds yet. I was the tiniest, skinniest little high school graduate you ever saw. Since then...I grew 3 inches, I developed some curves, my hair is now long, straight and dark BROWN. I had more than one person last night comment that if it weren't for my name tag, they would've never recognized me.
Left to right: My senior class yearbook picture, my Concert Choir picture, and my graduation picture. Go ahead. It's alright...you can laugh. Is that some big hair or what??

This reunion was something I was looking forward to...but with some slight trepidation. Would I recognize anyone? Would any of the friends I shared the same social circle with be there? Would it be awkward? Bryan is less than enthusiastic about reunions...we did NOT attend his reunion last year. So in order to make sure that he would be at least somewhat gung-ho about attending with me, I called his brother Steven in Wyoming who was also in my class. Were he and Sara coming? And if not, could I convince them to?? :) Steven said that yes, he was interested in the reunion. This bit of information helped Bryan feel more comfortable about going....any time spent with Steven is a good time. And it was good for me too, because at least I'd know and feel comfortable with Steven and Sara if the evening turned out to be a dud. But though it WAS great fun to double date with them (and my old college roomie and high school buddy, Heather, who also came with us) the evening ended up being a rip-roaring success. Lots of familiar faces that I was happy to see and that were equally happy to see me. Some unfamiliar faces (thank heavens for name tags). Lots of laughing and catching up. I went to school with some really great people. And, I have to admit...I looked pretty good. It's always nice to walk into your high school reunion feeling like you look better now than you did twenty years ago!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

I actually think of my upcoming reunion with trepidation. My extra "curves" are not nearly as appealing as yours...

DisabilityDiva said...

It was so wonderful to see yoU!!!