Wednesday, March 2, 2016

In like a lion and out like a lamb

March is supposed to go in like a lion and out like a lamb. Speaking weather-wise, heading into the month all gruff and blustery, and ending calm and warm...going from winter to spring. For some reason I've always thought that the saying was kind of like a prediction of sorts, similar to Groundhog Day. If the groundhog doesn't see his shadow, spring comes early...if he does, we have 6 more weeks of winter. If March starts with cold, stormy weather we are assured a nice entrance into spring a few weeks later...if the month begins warm and sunny then chances are by the end of March we're dealing with late snow storms. But maybe that's just me. And if that is true then we are kind of in trouble because yesterday was a pretty beautiful day.

But for some reason this year the whole thought of "going in like a lion and out like a lamb" came to mind at the New Year. 2015 was hard. One of the hardest years I've had to deal with. And though I knew that with the arrival of 2016 those hard things wouldn't just end, I had hope that things would get better. That mentally and emotionally I could get a better grip on the issues I was dealing with. Goals and changes. Hope and optimism.

But then New Years Eve I had a miserable cold. Our friends who normally celebrate the big night with us, had to cancel and I spent the evening playing cards with my eight-year old. I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea (possibly due to the junk food I'd eaten in celebration) and kept company with the toilet for multiple long hours. Which then meant that I was completely exhausted when we headed over to my in-laws house for a family party later in the day. And I couldn't help thinking, is this a sign? That things going to continue to be crap (yes, intentional) through 2016 as well?

But then I thought of this expression and wondered...if my new year comes in like a lion, maybe that means it will go out like a lamb? I know that it is just a saying and not truly an official prediction. And that how my year goes, has more to do with me and how I handle the things that come my way more than living by this silly adage. Still, what if?

No comments: