Thursday, February 17, 2011

Snow-fairies in action

The Snow Fairy by Claude McKay

Throughout the afternoon I watched them there,
Snow-fairies falling, falling from the sky,
Whirling fantastic in the misty air,
Contending fierce for space supremacy.
And they flew down a mightier force at night,
As though in heaven there was revolt and riot,
And they, frail things had taken panic flight
Down to the calm earth seeking peace and quiet.
I went to bed and rose at early dawn
To see them huddled together in a heap,
Each merged into the other upon the lawn,
Worn out by the sharp struggle, fast asleep.
The sun shone brightly on them half the day,
By night they stealthily had stol'n away.

I like this poem. Interesting to think of snow not so much as a weather pattern but as individual little flakes...or in this case, flakes personified into fairies. I like snow. I really, really like snow. And winter. So much more so than summer. And this winter has been wimpy, in my opinion. Yes, I know that there are many in this state that would beg to differ. Many who have seen storm after storm dumping 6 inches, 10 inches, 15 inches and more. But Mother Nature has been much more mild where I live. Each storm that rolls through tends to drop a token 2 inches so as to save it's main dumping for points south. This displeases me. Irrationally so. And so although the 50 degree weather earlier this week did feel nice, this dramatic windblown, snowy reminder that we are indeed still in winter has been much welcomed by me.

(We got 3.5 inches last night. How sad is it that this storm is probably our biggest all winter long?)

2 comments:

Mary said...

We only got a dusting last night and I was pleased. You can keep the snow but for me and my house, we say good riddance.

Melissa@thebblog said...

sheesh, you can keep it. I'm done with winter!