Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What's summer without a family reunion or two?

Realistically....we don't go to many family reunions. In fact, my mom's side of the family hasn't had one since I was a teenager. But we had a big family reunion this past Saturday and we had people traveling in from Michigan, Indiana and Idaho to be there. (This picture doesn't even do it justice because some people had already left by the time it was taken....)

Lots of family...some I knew, some I didn't, some I only vaguely recognized. But it was great fun to make the connection of how we were all related. We watched old...really, really old...home movies and slide shows. Surprisingly I found myself getting teary while watching video of my great grandparents. Though I haven't seen them since I was late elementary-early Jr. High age I still have memories of visiting them in Brigham City. In fact, I used to write letters weekly to my great grandmother when she was in a nursing home the last year or two of her life. Remember that old church movie called "The Mailbox?" About the cute little grandma who desperately wanted letters from her family and would check her mailbox diligently every day? It made an impact on me when I was 12 or 13 years old. And from then on I wrote my great grandmother without fail. Video and pictures of my own grandmother who died last summer, also had me choked up.

Here's some shots of the day....
The sand volleyball court was used more for sandcastles than an actual game of volleyball....


Lilian and Grandpa


Brandon with his 1st cousin, Dalton and his 2nd cousin, Davis. And if Davis looks familiar...it's because he is also on Brandon's gymnastics team. The two of them wowed everyone with their back flips, back handsprings, handstands and other such tricks.


Bryan BBQ'd us some yummy steaks. Which tasted especially good seeing as we are BBQ-less at our house this summer.


Sisters: Aunt Jana and Mom


Sisters: Melissa and me

Sisters: Julianne and Rebekah
























Bryan set up two slack lines for adventurous thrill seekers....like Mickey (haha). Bryan's was low to the ground and slack enough that he was able to balance on it while talking on his cell phone. Talk about multi-tasking talent!



My cousin Gwendolyn and her little family drove in all the way from Michigan. (Being 2 months puke-y pregnant and traveling with a 2 year old. Sheer craziness in my opinion, but it was really good to see them.)


Dad and me

1 comment:

Melissa@thebblog said...

Wish I could have been in the picture, perhaps we should have taken it before dinner. It was a fun day for sure.