Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th of July!


For the past 3 years we've considered running the local 4th of July 5k...this year we finally did it. Originally we had plans to do it as an entire family. But then Brandon said, "Mom, I am NOT a runner" and bowed out. Bryan was disturbed by the fact that it cost $ to run this 5k and declined in protest. And seeing as we were going to be pushing Lilian in a stroller while we ran...we decided to leave her home in bed as well if the boys were going to be available to watch her.

Close to 1,000 people were up bright and early to bring in the holiday with this community run. It was a fun atmosphere. Lots of neighbors, lots of friends. Unfortunately, we got a mile into our run and Julianne developed a wicked side-ache. Our run turned into a run/walk as she tried to deal with her pain (and her increasing irritability about the whole thing). Run a block, walk a block, run to that school crossing sign, walk to that white picket fence, etc. But we did it. And although it took Julianne a good half hour to get a smile back on her face, she eventually (in hindsight) decided that it had been kind of fun. Well, maybe fun is too strong of a word. Ummm....a good experience? A neat accomplishment?

After the run we headed across the street to the 4th of July breakfast. Rebekah's friend Bryant was working there and arranged for Rebekah to get free food and all of us to skip ahead of the long line. We were grateful. Next year I think we'll do the breakfast as an entire family. Bryan may not want to join the 5k...but breakfast is something he can get behind.

We rushed home, showered and dressed, and then headed back to the parade and the chairs we had set up earlier that morning to save our place. I was worried tremendously about heat. I don't handle heat well so we packed numerous ice cold water bottles to drink and spray/mist bottles to help keep us cool. I chose function over fashion in my wardrobe choice (which is unusual for me!) and chose, instead of patriotic attire, a flimsy, lightweight skirt and t-shirt. But my preparation was all for naught. I was delighted to discover that the whole 2 hour parade stayed under the cover of overcast skies. It didn't matter that we were on the "sunny" side of the street...the whole city was in shade! It made the parade so much more enjoyable!

These veterans made me cry. I am a sentimental sap regarding any and all things patriotic so the beginning of the parade, when they march the flag by and everyone stands in silent respect with hand over heart, always brings tears. But coming up right behind the flag this year, was the veterans. This group from the Korean War got stalled right in front of me. Lilian and I waved...and a few of these amazing men locked eyes with us, smiled and waved back. I've been reading a book entitled "The Seven Miracles That Saved America" by Chris Stewart...a book that, though not mentioning the Korean War specifically, talks a lot about these brave men and women throughout American history that fought for our freedom. So when truck after truck over veterans and soldiers rolled past us on the parade route, I lost it.


Our city has a unique and fun tradition wherein the whole parade route turns into a massive water fight towards the end of the parade....the last few entries carrying super soakers followed by huge water trucks and fire engines. Hoses are hooked to fire hydrants up and down the street. Families come prepared with buckets and super soakers of their own...with coolers and garbage cans filled with water for re-filling. Obviously, those who want to stay dry tend to leave a bit early to get out of the war zone in time. Last year I was more than happy to get drenched...it was HOT! But this year I was feeling quite comfortable and knew that we still had more events still to attend so staying dry was my plan. We couldn't leave early because Rebekah was watching the parade with some friends and we needed to wait for her to wind her way back down the street to us. So we thought we'd just step back a bit from all the crazy water while we waited....

But then Mother Nature joined in the fun and decided at that moment to dump some rain. Right about that same time the families on either side of us pulled out their water-fighting weapons and ammo...and although they were not aiming for us specifically, we definitely got caught in the crossfire! We had just got our camp chairs folded up and moved back to where Julianne was hiding out when I saw Rebekah coming down the street...wet, wet, wet as could be. I walked out of our "hiding place" to flag her down and while distracted, talking with her, the big water truck snuck up on us. How can a big truck like that truly "sneak" you ask? Well, okay....I knew it was coming. But it got there a little faster than I expected and we had only enough time to turn our backs to the spray. I ended up pretty soaked through. Lilian cried, the water taking her by surprise. I laughed. Julianne just rolled her eyes from the safety of her dry spot. Seriously though, what a fun tradition!



After some dry clothes and a nap, we headed down the street for a BBQ with some of our neighbors. In between eating and waiting for it to get dark enough for fireworks we did karaoke. Yep, we did! I haven't laughed that hard in awhile! Our closing number was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by all the ladies. Silly, silliness, I tell you.And can I just say...with all these used-to-be-illegal-but-but-now-newly-legal fireworks we set off last night...I felt like I was witnessing as awesome of a firework display as I'd see if I'd paid money to go to an official show. There was some serious wow factor going on last night.

The 4th of July is my second favorite holiday...superseded only slightly by Thanksgiving. Both holidays filled to bursting with American history which, I think, might be one of the main reasons they are my favorites. But also because they are filled with family and friends. And Bryan and I are beyond blessed with both....wonderful, awesome and amazing. I am truly grateful for my town and neighborhood, and the friends we have made. Grateful for this blessed country and the God given miracles that have made it possible for it to be "the land of the free and the home of the brave."

1 comment:

DisabilityDiva said...

What a fun and VERY busy day!!! I love that you ran together too!