Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tulip Festival

I love flowers. One of my favorite things is to have a vase full of some sort of bouquet on my bed side table so I can see and smell them as I go to sleep and then wake up to again in the morning. Poor Bryan, I make it so difficult for him to ever surprise me on Valentines Day or our anniversary with fresh flowers...I'm all too frequently buying them for myself. At this point he's more or less given up. As far as variety goes, I'm not picky...I'm happy with daisies, carnations, lilies, daffodils, roses, what have you. But if I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be tulips. They are in season for much too short of a time, in my opinion. So during the spring, those are most often what I choose to fill my vases when I am in the mood for some colorful, fresh flowers.

I'd heard of the tulip festival at Thanksgiving Point. I'd always wanted to go. But it's a long drive from my house and for one reason or another, I'd never made it down there during the allotted time that the tulips were in bloom. This year I was determined to go. And though I was happy to wander the gardens on my own, I called my mom and asked if she wanted to join me. When Katie heard we were considering a date to go, she said she had a season pass to Thanksgiving Point and though she had just been there a few days earlier with her children, she offered to come along again and get us in for half price. Sweet! Especially considering the entrance price was more steep than I had expected!

So the three of us wandered those beautiful tulip gardens for hours. I was amazed at how many different varieties of tulips they are...and the individual and delicate details of each. Just so stunningly beautiful. We had such a great girls afternoon! We're thinking maybe we'll go back in a few months to see what the gardens look like with their traditional summer flowers.






No comments: