Sunday, January 5, 2014

Why it is good to have a cute snow hat...

Winter arrived in Utah. Right in time for the Christmas season. And not only did the snow put me in a festive holiday mood, but also gave me an excuse to buy a new hat.

I like winter. And I know that sounds strange but there it is. I deal with cold much better than I deal with heat. A good snow storm makes me giddy. In fact, if you asked right now I'd probably tell you that winter is my favorite season...even eclipsing fall. But then again, it's only early January. I reserve the right to change my mind if asked again in late March when I'm starting to crave spring.

That hat? It made its debut on a cold Wednesday night at Temple Square. Rebekah and her high school madrigal group were singing at The Assembly Hall. Which actually meant a really good excuse to take the family to see the Christmas lights. Except Brandon had gymnastics and Julianne had homework and Bryan...well, he claimed work but really he's not as big of a fan of Christmas lights and cold weather as I am. So I took Lilian who is always up for a good adventure. And we met up with Grandma and Grandpa who also wanted to hear Rebekah sing and also had the same idea about lights being a good adventure and therefore brought along my niece Maddy.

Then on Christmas Eve Brandon begged me to take him sledding with a few friends. I think his plan was for me to drop them off and pick them up later. Why should they have all the fun? Lilian and I decided to join them. Cue the hat...



















A warm snow hat is also warranted when ice skating...especially if you ice skate outside as opposed to the rec center which had been your original plan but was closed the evening of New Years Day. Realistically, a hat in an indoor rec center is probably still a good idea regardless.

Julianne came with us. But she opted not to skate. Probably because she was wearing a skirt. And more than wanting to skate, really, she was mostly interested in hitching a ride so she could meet up with friends a little bit later to see a movie at the theater next to the rink. So she spent her time drinking hot chocolate and stepping in as photographer of our little iceskating adventure...which included once again, Lilian and me.























Lilian is a good little ice skater! I was a bit surprised at how quickly she got the hang of it. She fell. A lot. Pretty much every part of her little body made contact with the ice at some point during the evening. But only because she was skating so fast and doing daredevil stunts. Well...as daredevil as a 6-year old can get her first time on the ice. I was impressed.
Also happy to report, I did not fall down once. I expected to. My tailbone is glad I did not....

Where will the hat show up next? Probably shoveling the driveway or something equally mundane. But who knows, I'm kind of interested in learning how to snowshoe....

No comments: