Friday, March 6, 2020

Mayor Pete

Seeing as I take my right and privilege to vote seriously, but already knowing I will not be voting for Trump in the 2020 Presidential Election, I have been following the democratic primary candidates closely. A few years ago I removed my name from the Republican party and declared myself Independent/Unaffiliated. I was quite excited to vote in the Democratic primary election and so when I heard that Pete Buttigieg, a candidate I've been very impressed with, was coming to Salt Lake City to do a Town Hall I was excited to attend. I've never been to a Town Hall or any type of political rally. Utah overall tends to get ignored during election season. We are solid red enough that Democrat candidates don't think it's worth the time and money since there's no way it'll make much difference, and Republican candidates don't bother figuring they have us in the bag already. But four years ago for the first time ever Utah was considered a slight battleground state. Trump was not overly popular here for a variety of reasons. He came in dead last during the Republican primary in March, but did end up taking the state during the general election in November, solely because he had an R by his name. But still, with nowhere close to the same high percentages other Republican candidates have enjoyed in the past (a fact that it's said has rankled him.) However, this has made Democrat candidates rethink visits to Utah, especially as we've been moved up to Super Tuesday in the primaries (our primary used to be later in the spring). So we merited a few Town Halls this year and I was excited to take part in this one at least.

Bryan wasn't going to be in town and though I had no problem attending by myself, he worried. Mostly because it was being held on the west side of Salt Lake City in a concert venue, and he was a little concerned about the sketchiness of the area and me being there alone. One of his employees, Cody, who I know pretty well considering he's worked for Guru Labs so long, had also expressed interest in going. He said he'd happily go with me, so the two of us drove down together. I was actually quite glad to have company when the crowds ended up so large that we had to stand for over an hour in a line that wrapped a block down the street and around the corner to get in. And the once inside the building we stood for another 30-40 minutes before the event got started. So we had plenty of time to talk and it was truly nice to have such great conversation. 

Mayor Pete has mad speaking skills. He was engaging, intelligent, interesting and inspiring. And he had the appreciative crowd of 4,500 completely sold on what he'd do for us and our country as Americans. I knew it was a long shot that at his young age and with not as much national political experience that he'd win the Democratic nomination. He did win the Iowa Primary, and then a close second to Bernie Sanders (each getting 9 delegates) in the New Hampshire Primary. But then he started to slide a bit and the day before Super Tuesday and our own Utah Primary, he dropped out and threw his support behind Joe Biden. Who I then voted for. 

But don't take your eye off Mayor Pete....he's someone to watch because he's just getting started. 

No comments: